Friday, November 08, 2013

Problems with FSRM (Quick Fix)

I recently installed FSRM on to a Windows 2012 server.

I started seeing a few strange issues when trying to use the FSRM powershell cmdlets. 

For example, when I run Get-FSRMQuota, a list of all currently applied quotas was meant to be returned.
Instead, I got no output at all from the command. Other powershell commands threw strange errors.

Whenever I tried to view the FSRM options screen, the MMC would crash and I'd get this error.


After a bit of digging it turns out that this a bug with the installation of FSRM which only occurs following the first reboot of a server hosting the FSRM role.

After you perform a second reboot or run:

net stop srmsvc
net start srmsvc

The problem goes away. 

I'm not sure what causes the issue, but I thought it would be useful to document this incase anyone else runs into the same issue.

No comments:

A little about Me

My photo
My name is Mitch Beaumont and I've been a technology professional since 1999. I began my career working as a desk-side support engineer for a medical devices company in a small town in the middle of England (Ashby De La Zouch). I then joined IBM Global Services where I began specialising in customer projects which were based on and around Citrix technologies. Following a couple of very enjoyable years with IBM I relocated to London to work as a system operations engineer for a large law firm where I responsible for the day to day operations and development of the firms global Citrix infrastructure. In 2006 I was offered a position in Sydney, Australia. Since then I've had the privilege of working for and with a number of companies in various technology roles including as a Solutions Architect and Technical team leader.